21 Feb

Education Campaign about Australian Visa Conditions for Overseas Students

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) launches this week a social media campaign to give detailed information for overseas students studying in the country about visa conditions and the possible impacts of changing course.

According to Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash, Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, she is concerned about a perception within the international student community that overseas students are able to change or downgrade courses from a streamlined visa processing (SVP) eligible to a non-streamlined visa processing eligible provider soon after their arrival in Australia without no impacts to their student visa conditions.

“Students who engage in this type of behaviour are likely to be in breach of their visa conditions and may, as a result, be subject to visa cancellation,” said Minister Cash. Read More

17 Feb

Working in Australia as an International student

Can I work in Australia with a student visa?

International students and dependants in Australia on student dependant visas who are residing in Australia will automatically receive permission to work with their visa grant. Most student visa holders will no longer need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work. Please note that a Tax File Number is required before undertaking work.

More information about applying for the student visa with permission to work, the Tax File Number, and obtaining part-time work while studying, will be given during Orientation week. Information about dependants working will be covered in the Families of International Students session during Orientation week.

Read More